ITAD, short for IT asset disposition, is a service many recyclers offer, whereby they safely dispose of a business' old or unwanted hardware and infrastructure in an eco-friendly way. Historically, ITAD emerged as a response to new complexities and demands from consumers and businesses, including:
- The secure disposal of data from storage devices, especially with the growth of cyber crime.
- Legislation that will fine organizations for not disposing of electronics in an environmentally friendly manner.
- The growing emphasis on corporations' social responsibility, be it through charity or implementing green policies.
- Growing consumer awareness of the hazardous nature of many raw materials used in electronics.
- The advent of business intelligence which has helped companies realize new ways that they can minimize costs by selling their old equipment to electronics recyclers, reusing components, and more.
The decision to work with an ITAD partner should factor in your organization's data security policies and whether or not you have the capability to securely wipe your own hardware. Does the electronics recycler wipe data up to Department of Defense (DoD) standards? Are they certified? Do they charge for this service? How much would it cost you to wipe your own data in terms of employee hours? Do your employees know how to do this?
Living Green Technology is a certified electronics recycler that offers secure data destruction and ITAD services in Portland, Seattle, and Tacoma. Interested in hearing more about our services? Fill out our contact form.